It was great to see The Project's Carrie Bickmore use her TV WEEK Gold Logie acceptance speech to raise awareness of an issue that affects so many people. Nominations for the 2016 Australian of the Year Awards are now open and if you know of someone going above and beyond, give them the recognition they deserve! #beaniesforbraincancer www.australianoftheyear.org.au/nominate Read More →
One week to go - Nominate your Australian of the Year now!
With just on a week to go until nominations for the Australian of the Year Awards 2008 close on Friday, 31 August 2007, the National Australia Day Council is calling on the public to get their nominations in before it's too late.
Thousands of nominations for Australian of the Year, Senior Australian of the Year, Young Australian of the Year and Australia's Local Hero have already been submitted from around the nation.
The National Australia Day Council said nominees ranged from the unsung heroes of local communities through to people who are well known for their contributions to society and high profile achievers.
Well-known achievers already nominated include:
- victims of crime advocate Ken Marslew
- indigenous leader Noel Pearson
- Choir of Hard Knocks leader Jonathon Welch
- Aussie Helpers founder Brian Egan
- explorer Lincoln Hall
- actress and theatre director Robyn Nevin
- youth worker Father Chris Riley
- researcher Dr George O'Neil
- historian Professor Geoffrey Blainey
- social conscience leader Rev Tim Costello
- Socceroo Harry Kewell
- author Peter FitzSimons
- surgeon Dr Charlie Teo
- AFL player Adam Goodes
- musician and fundraiser Angry Anderson
"If there's an Australian you admire and whose contributions or achievements you find inspiring, nominate them for the awards," said Tam Johnston, National Manager of the Australian of the Year Awards.
"If you don't nominate them, we can't acknowledge them, so its vital that you take a few minutes to tell us who they are and what they've done.
"Nominating is simple and only takes a few minutes, but it could have a big impact - your nomination could result in someone being named Australian of the Year 2008."
You can nominate a great Australian online now at www.australianoftheyear.gov.au or pick up a nomination form from major sponsor Commonwealth Bank or call 1300 655 193 for more information. Nominations close on Friday 31 August 2007.
There are four categories in the Australian of the Year Awards:
· Australian of the Year - open to all Australians who deserve recognition for their extraordinary achievements, contributions to the community and nation and who are inspirational role models to all Australians
· Senior Australian of the Year - recognises those Australians aged 60 years and over who continue to achieve and contribute to the community;
· Young Australian of the Year - recognises those extraordinary young Australians aged 16-25 years who are contributing to our community;
· Australia 's Local Hero - recognises Australians who make a real difference in their local communities and whose outstanding contributions enrich the lives of those around them.